Shortly after Ed Cross and "Shorty" Harris found the Original Bullfrog about three miles to the west of Bonanza Mountain, Russel F Sutherland was grub staked by Judge L. O. Ray, H. J. McKenzie and N. A. D'Arey. He located the Denver, Venture, Tramp No. 1, Tramp No. 2, Hobo Fraction, Tramp Extension, Peerless, Peerless No. 2, Victor and Denver Annex, every discovery monument being erected on croppings of good ore and every claim carrying several ledges
Early in March, 1905 Sutherland was joined by his partners and they opened a rich vein on the Denver claim. Shortly thereafter they sold the Denver and the Venture to Tasker Oddie and some eastern investors for $100,000. In April, Sutherland's group turned over the Eclipse, Tiger, Sidewinder, Hobo and Tramp No. 2 claims to Tasker Oddie, again for $100,000.
Liking these $100,000 payoffs, they sold the the Tramp No. 1 and Tramp Extension for the same amount to the another group headed by T. L. Oddie. At this time the three groups were held and operated separately ... "Denver", "Eclipse" and "Tramp" as the groups were termed for simplicity.
"The Denver is capitalized for $1,000,000 with T. L. Oddie is president; J. E. Carstair, vice president, and H. A. Cookson, secretary and N. A. D'Arey, superintendent. It lies north of the Eclipse and has several of the same veins. There are three tunnels being run on the property all in ore. Five feet of ore in the winze from tunnel No. 2 averages $55 while two feet lately struck runs $500. This ore is being shipped and 40 tons have already gone out."
"The Tramps are not incorporated. They belong to T. L. Oddie, Arthur Winslow and Davis and Aldrich of Colorado Springs. They lie south of the Eclipse and have 2,000 feet on the strike of all the Eclipse ledges. It would be difficult to describe this property. It need only be said that an examination of its surface showings is bewildering to the mining man. It is a mountain of ore, and good ore at that. Everywhere are veins, large and small, and their future development means millions in dividends."
"The Tramp Shaft, sunk to develop the big Tramp ledge, is down 150 feet, and in rich ore all the distance. Twenty-five tons of $150 rock have been taken out in sinking. A cross-cut at 115 feet to the east cuts the Lester vein. The showing at this Tramp shaft is one that will convince the most skeptical of the possibilities of Bullfrog. There is ore of good values everywhere, and like the Hobo ledge it can be traced on the surface for nearly two miles."
In March of 1906, Tramp Consolidated Mining was formed to develop the various properties of all three groups, the "Denver", "Eclipse" and "Tramp".
Despite the rich early showing, the United States Geological Survey of 1907 proclaimed "The Tramp Consolidated Mining Company (including the Tramp, Eclipse, and Dennis claims) has ores of grade reported too low for shipment and smelter treatment." Continued development was sporadic, partly due to the financial panic of 1907.
The financial panic of 1907 killed Bullfrog and Rhyolite. Most of the town's investors were from the east, and when they withdrew their backing, all of the mines were forced to close. The devastating effects of the panic did not reach Rhyolite until the spring of 1908. Then the trains were almost always filled to capacity with people leaving town. The city emptied as fast as it had been populated only a few years earlier.
On May 21, 1908 Mining Science reported; "A shipment of 22 tons was recently made from the Eclipse tunnel of the Tramp Consolidated Mining Company; $175,444 has been recently expended by this company to develop the water in Oasis valley, a few miles distant from the property."
The only mine left in operation by 1912 was the old Tramp mine, just north of Bullfrog. Early in 1913, the stocks of the Tramp Consolidated Mining were called in and transferred on a 'One for One' basis to a new company, The Sunset Mining and Development Company. They actively worked the mine for a while but finally gave up later.
Note the return of some shares of the Tramps Consolidated Extension Mining Company. These mines were also located in Bullfrog mining district, but they were not part of Tramp Consolidated. The predecessor to this "Tramps" mining company was the Keystone Bullfrog, which was incorporated in Utah in 1905. The shares of Keystone were assigned to the Tramps Consolidated Extension on February 28, 1907 by an amendment to the Keystone's articles of incorporation. A notice to this effect was published in the Deseret evening news, February 11, 1907
As with many mining companies, stocks of the Sunset Mining and Development Company were assessable. The first assessment was in September of 1913 [above] and they continued to be assessed into the 1920's, with Assessment #15 coming in April 1928. The stock below has a sticker for Assessment #13 and apparently the owner did not think it worth keeping, selling up upon receiving notice of Assessment #14.
|Tramp Consolidated Mining could be reached on the Rhyolite telephone exchange at Number 24.|